Friday, 7 July 2017

ARC Review: I SEE LONDON I SEE FRANCE by Sarah Mlynowski.

Thank you, HC Intl, for the book.


SYNOPSIS:


Nineteen-year-old Sydney has the perfect summer mapped out. She’s spending the next four and half weeks travelling through Europe with her childhood best friend, Leela. Their plans include Eiffel-Tower selfies, eating cocco gelato, and making out with très hot strangers. Her plans do not include Leela’s cheating ex-boyfriend showing up on the flight to London, falling for the cheating ex-boyfriend’s très hot friend, monitoring her mother’s spiraling mental health via texts, or feeling like the rope in a friendship tug-of-war.

In this hilarious and unforgettable adventure, New York Times bestselling author Sarah Mlynowski tells the story of a girl learning to navigate secret romances, thorny relationships, and the London Tube. As Sydney zigzags through Amsterdam, Switzerland, Italy, and France, she must learn when to hold on, when to keep moving, and when to jump into the Riviera… wearing only her polka dot underpants.

SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:


I see London I see France showed up on my doorstep a few months ago, but because of exams I did not find the right time to dedicate to it. Now that high school is over and I am able to find some free time, I can assure you all that waiting to read this has been, by far, one of my best choices. I am grateful that I decided to wait and read this on a free day, in one sitting.

I enjoyed this novel because of the vibe surrounding it, but I also loved that I got to sit through the day with just this one book to worry about. In this story, we get to know two friends who, due to changes in their lives, end up going on their dreamed trip around Europe. Is this not everyone's dream, to go on a trip with your best friend? At least mine is...

Anyways, let's get into a little bit more detailed review. Sydney, main character to this story, is a great story teller. She has a very mature point of view and so she is the one who carried the weight of the whole trip. Through her organisation and her will to help her agoraphobic mother, we get to meet a really caring person with a great big heart, always trying to help and support her loved ones. She never stops worrying about her family while travelling, and that shows how much of a good person she is. I really enjoyed her personality, her way to deal with life in general and how selfless she can get.


Leela, the best friend, on the other hand, pretty much annoyed me the whole time. She is practically Sydney's opposite. She is selfish, thinks only about her, drives Sydney crazy with her plans to meet up with the people she wants to meet... She does not even help with the trip which, to begin with, was supposed to be hers and her boyfriend's, no Sydney involved. I would describe her as the immature, impulsive and disorganised friend I would never go on a trip with. However, her personality brings out the best of Sydney, since she is the one who helps her and does exactly as she says, and for that I am grateful. As I have already said, Sydney is a great girl, and if it takes a Leela for readers to see, then so be it.


In this story we also meet Matt and Jackson, Leela's ex-boyfriend and his friend, who I feel pretty okay with. Matt is a character we do not really get to know, besides what Leela and Sydney say about him. I think I would absolutely dislike him as a person, but as I character I simply do not care. He is only there to bring Jackson who, in case you have not guessed yet, will become Sydney's summer love story.

Jackson, I do not know how to feel about. I really did enjoy reading about him, mostly because when he is around, Sydney does not have to take care of Leela, and therefore we see her grow up as and individual and we get to know more about her. But as of Jackson being Jackson, and not Sydney's ignition, I barely have anything to say. I will say his personality does not match with what Leela has to say about him, so it is kind of confusing.

As of the love story, I am not the biggest fan of how it develops, since it happens really quickly and I like love stories with a great building process, but I was very pleased with it, so no complain accepted. Would I have enjoyed the book more had the love in it been different? Maybe, but I do not think this story is one about love, so as long as the actual main topic is well done, I am fine with a little bit of insta-love.

So, what is the book about then? It is a coming-of-age story, one that tells Sydney's life as a tale of travelling, one which shows how she acts and reacts around Europe while having to deal with her own personal issues back home. It is all about development, and that I really enjoyed.

Let's talk about the crazy situations these characters go through. I had so much fun reading them! I am not saying the things they go through are impossible to live, but they are unlikely crazy, and that makes them so much fun. From craziness at night in Amsterdam, to friends in Switzerland, skinny-dipping in the South of France... such a pure and fresh adventure. Not to mention how fast you can read this. As I have previously mentioned in this review, I read this novel in one sitting, and I think it is better this way, because you do not leave the travelling vibe you need to feel to enjoy it as much as possible.

I know, you probably think it is a good book just by what I am saying but... there is more. This is a book about travelling, which makes it even more exciting. I, personally, consider myself a wanderlust. I dream big and I want to travel the whole world, so just imagine how much I loved this book! Throughout the story we visit more than ten cities, and let me tell you... it is fantastic. I loved how well.written it is because, I promise, I felt like I was travelling with them as well. I actually felt like grabbing my passport and simply leaving... but I am broke, so nope, not happening.

I see London I see France is the greatest book to read in a summer vacation, so go ahead an pick it up. Trust me when I say you will most likely love it if you like adventure and travelling. If you like summer contemporary novels following friends, romance and Europe, this novel will not disappoint.

RATING:


2 comments:

  1. ¡Hola!
    La verdad no conocía el libro pero puede estar bien así que me lo apunto.
    Gracias por la reseña.
    Un besazo <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola! Espero que le des una oportunidad. Un besazo!

      Delete