Friday, 14 October 2016

Review: The Heir and The Spare by Emily Albright.

Thank you so much, Merit Press, for sending a review copy my way.

SYNOPSIS AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:

Family can be complicated. Especially when skeletons from the past pop up unexpectedly. For American Evie Gray, finding out her deceased mother had a secret identity, and not one of the caped crusader variety, was quite the surprise. Evie’s mom had a secret life before she was even born, one that involved tiaras.

In this modern day fairytale, Evie is on a path to figure out who her mom really was, while discovering for herself what the future will hold. Charged with her late mother’s letters, Evie embarks on a quest into her past. The first item on the list is to attend Oxford, her mom’s alma mater. There, Evie stumbles upon a real life prince charming, Edmund Stuart the second Prince of England, who is all too happy to be the counterpart to her damsel in distress.

Evie can’t resist her growing attraction to Edmund as they spend more time together trying to unravel the clues her mother left behind. But, when doubts arise as to whether or not Edmund could ever be with an untitled American, what really ends up unraveling is Evie’s heart. When Evie uncovers all the facts about her mom’s former life, she realizes her mom’s past can open doors she never dreamed possible, doors that can help her be with Edmund. But, with everything now unveiled, Evie starts to crack under the pressure of new family responsibilities and the realization that her perfect prince may want her for all the wrong reasons.

How do I even begin to talk about this novel when I just have no words?

When I first heard of The Heir and The Spare (when I unexpectedly got a package from the publishers) I thought: this is the book I have always dreamt about. And I was right. This book made me extremely happy.

Something you need to know about me is, I am in love with the UK and basically everything Britain-related, so the cover got me already fangirling. But the story... I had to read it in one sitting (a.k.a I went to bed real late but with a huge smile on my face and the feeling of never being able to forget  such a fantastic novel).

In this book we follow Evie, an American student who moves to the UK to follow the trail of clues her mother left for her before her death. She is a really good character, with a defined, strong personality which I really liked. And she has a secret past she actually knows nothing about. It is extremely fun and enjoyable to discover things with her, so I can say I am very happy with the P.O.V in this novel.

We also get to know some quality love interest, second in line to the throne of England, Edmund. With this character I really could feel his struggle, as he is literally caged in his parents' decisions and he barely gets the chance to choose what he wants to do with his life, who he wants to go out with... It made me really sad, but that sadness is what made me fall for him head over heels. I actually started getting strong feelings for him the first time he showed up in the story, oops.

The relationship within these pages is very complicated because of who Edmund is and who Evie is not, but it actually gets worse with Evie's past revealing and her not knowing what to do. Their love is complicated, but an amazing one. At some points I got the feeling of being reading a fanfiction because of how addicting the romance (and the story in general) was, so I definitely want to thank the author for building such a cute, peculiar and addicting relationship.

Friendship is a very important aspect of the novel as well, which I found to be extremely essential and adorable, as much as funny and enjoyable. Every single secondary character brings some substance to the story, and it is impossible not to like them all. It is absolutely great to see Edmund with his friends instead of surrounded by paparazzi, because it somehow made him seem more real and vulnerable to feelings.

So, let's see. A hilarious group of friends, a cute romance, emotional and strong family bonds, royalty and identity discovery... all set in the UK? How could this not be the perfect book for me? How can this not be the perfect book for everyone?

RATING:


1 comment:

  1. I' ve never heard about it...but according your review It's a very good book...hope I can read it soon...I'm following u ...u can visit me at http://monalisa40.blogspot.pe/ Ciao!

    ReplyDelete