Friday, 9 October 2015

Review: IA: Initiate by John Darryl Winston!


I want to start this review with a massive thank you to the author, John Darryl Winston, for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 


SUMMARY AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:

Naz is a very special thirteen-years-old kid. He's oblivious to that, though. He only knows he sleepwalks and hears voices whenever he's nervous or excited. 
One day, on his way to school he's attacked by some street gang talking in Spanish. He doesn't know why, so he tries to stay as far as possible in order to protect his sister.
He lives with his little sister, Meri, and they both take care of each other. Their parents died, and to find out why and how, Naz will have to take over the supernatural world he's unaware of. 

This book was very light and kind of heartwarming. I liked it very much, specially because the characters were pretty enjoyable as well as the main story.
It is true that at the first half of the book I wasn't sure about this and though it's hard to say why, I'll do my best.

Going into this book I was expecting a fantasy novel with a bunch of magic and spells, and it wasn't happening. It did have supernatural aspects, but I was expecting like massive fantasy. A day after I finished the book I went wow, thank God it didn't have much more magic, because otherwise it wouldn't have been as real and kind of believable as it actually was. I think the magic and supernatural in this book was on point and well situated. IA is a very short book and I think my mind would explode if it had that much magic in it.

Another thing that annoyed me while I was reading it was how things weren't really happening. Again, I was expecting a lot of fantasy stuff to happen, and having only around a hundred pages left I was getting nervous and worried that things would go too rushed and I'd end up not liking it. But it didn't happen. I think the author handled that very well and I am grateful. Some books have a very dense and slow beginning and then a too rushed ending... It makes me feel like the author got bored and decided to finish the book as soon as possible. 

With Mr. Winston it didn't happen. The whole story is told in the same pace and I absolutely appreciated that.

This story has its own rhythm and it's nice going along with it.

Let's talk about the characters.

Naz is a character I adored. He was so mature and responsible as well as caring with his sister! It was hard for me to believe that he was only thirteen! And it was the same with his sister Meri. She was absolutely amazing and mature. But then again, anyone would be like that with a backstory like theirs.

The best thing about those two characters is how close they are. I always say this, but I can completely relate to books with siblings because of having a sister myself.
I must admit, I did have my doubts at the beginning and definitely a lot of questions at the ending... But I am very happy I read it and I'm currently looking forward for the next one, IA: B.O.S.S.

I recommend this book to all of you, specially to those who enjoy some light fantasy set in a realistic world with believable characters. 


MY RATING:



No comments:

Post a Comment