Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Review: Drift by Jenny Alexander!



I want to start this review with a massive thank you to Jenny Alexander, author of Drift, for sending me a PDF ARC of this unforgettable book. 

SUMMARY AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:

Jess doesn't talk ever since her brother committed suicide. She is drifting away from people. Her best friend is already looking for someone else to spend time with. Her mum isn't the same and her dad only drinks and complains.
Jess is stuck in her silent world and doesn't know how to move on from Sebastian's death. 
She doesn't talk, so she writes. 

If I had to summarise this book with just one word, it would be beautiful.

Drift is a very simple yet whole story. It tells the journey of a teenager whose world crashes down. The writing style is flawless and the structure of the story is absolutely captivating.
The story is perfectly explained and distributed and it's great that we get to know the whole story, past and present.

I enjoyed so much reading the "before" part because I got to know the characters and I grew fond of some of them. I think the thing I liked the most about that part of the story was seeing Jess' fear of her brother Sebastian committing suicide and the way he tried to hide and cover every evidence of helplessness he left. 

On the other hand, Jess' journey as just a teenager and her adventure with her friend Lexi was nice to read, though Lexi herself annoyed me sometimes. That side of Jess' life was reckless and it made me go "wow, the amount of things you are not aware of as you go on with your life are overwhelming".

The part where Sebastian actually dies was painfully beautiful because even though the characters were utterly devastated I saw how much they all cared for him. 

I could relate to the situation since my older sister and I are around Seb's an Jess' ages and it made me see how lucky I am to have her in my life. Losing a sibling must be terrifying, and moving on one of the hardest things to do. 

Jess and her family trying to move on was hard to read and Jess' silence was totally understandable as well as heartbreaking.

Romeo and Juliet's mention is already a great enough reason to read this book. I absolutely loved the discussion over the classic.

I really don't know what else I can say without going into details other than this is one of the most beautiful books I've read in a while

This story is absolutely emotional and beautiful. You all seriously need to give it a try. You won't regret it. 

MY RATING:


No comments:

Post a Comment