Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Review: Alive by Scott Sigler!


I want to start this review with a massive thank you to Empty Set Entertainment for providing me a review copy of Alive. 

SUMMARY AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:

A teenage girls wakes up in total darkness, trapped inside a coffin. She only knows today is her birthday. She fights her way out of the coffin she mysteriously appeared in, but what she sees once she's out is not what she was expecting at all. 
Apparently her name is M. Savage, and she's in a room with another eleven closed coffins. As she helps out those who are alive, she becomes their leader. She doesn't know where to lead or what she is supposed to do, but she fights to keep everyone safe.

Alive is the first book in the Generations Trilogy. I don't think there is one genre to define this book. Dystopian, fantasy, thriller and mystery build the pages of this amazing story. 
I don't remember what I was expecting when I started reading it but I am completely sure that I was far from what it actually is,
The story captivates you from page one and doesn't let you peacefully sleep until you are done with it.
The fact that you as a reader are as lost as the characters is unbelievably terrifying. Everything is dark and you never know where you are heading to... you don't even know if you are heading somewhere!
Em is a strong character that deals with the responsibility of being the leader of a group of people she knows nothing about. She doesn't even know if she is the one who should lead them, she is terrified... but she stills does. She fights to get them out of wherever they are. 
One thing I really liked about this book is how well defined the characters are. They all have something that identifies them and doesn't change throughout the story. 
While I was reading the book I was full of doubts. Who are they? Why are they there? Where are they? Why did they wake up with grownup bodies if they just turned twelve? 
Once I got the answers to those questions I had to keep reading... It became impossible for me to put the book down because I really wanted to know what was going to happen next. 
When I was halfway through the book I thought Alive could be a great standalone book because it was unique and needed nothing else, but when I got to the ending... well, Scott, you better work fast!
The amount of surprises and plot twists within those 350 pages is amazing. You can't even relax for a single chapter because it won't let you! Once you start it, get ready because will need to finish it.
Some people compare this story to The Maze Runner and I wonder... Have they even read this book? Yes, sure, the fact that they're running and trying to escape the place they've been put in is similar to James Dashner's novel. But the rest is totally different and it has nothing to do with any other book. I can't find a book similar to this one because I haven't read anything like Alive. Ever.

Alive is very different and special.

The writing style is something I really enjoyed. Scott's way to describe uncertainty and fear is wonderful. I felt every single doubt the characters had. I felt.
I can't wait for the second book. Hopefully we will get to know the characters better... maybe even get some romance. I would love that!

If you haven't read Alive... what the hell are you waiting for?

MY RATING:



Check out my Goodreads reading progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment